Forms of should
| All persons | Present | Present perfect |
| Affirmative | should |
should have |
| Negatve | should not, shouldn't | should not have, shouldn't have |
The verb ought to only exists in simple present and present perfect forms
Forms of ought to
| All persons | Present | Present perfect |
| Affirmative | ought to |
ought to have |
| Negative | ought not to, oughtn't to | ought not to have, oughtn't to have |
Should and ought to are more or less synonymous
Examples:
a1) You should stop smoking ( = You ought to stop smoking.)
a2) It's raining hard, the children ought to come indoors.
a3) I didn't know you were married ! You ought to have told me !
a4) If you'd wanted to succeed, you should have worked harder at school.
a5) This pullover's got holes in it, I should get a new one.
a6) This pullover's got holes in it, I ought to get a new one.
a7) That's awful ! You really oughtn't to have done that, you know !
a1) You should stop smoking ( = You ought to stop smoking.)
a2) It's raining hard, the children ought to come indoors.
a3) I didn't know you were married ! You ought to have told me !
a4) If you'd wanted to succeed, you should have worked harder at school.
a5) This pullover's got holes in it, I should get a new one.
a6) This pullover's got holes in it, I ought to get a new one.
a7) That's awful ! You really oughtn't to have done that, you know !
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario